Wednesday 12 October 2011

Day 1: The Dilemma of Containers & Packaging

Day 1 has been full of many revelations and challenges.

1) I own a plastic Nalgene (BPA free) water bottle, which is used for everyday water consumption. On the plus side, they are reusable and durable, which is much better than using a one use disposable plastic water bottle.  However, they are still plastic and go through the manufacturing process.  According to this article, and many others - aluminum bottles appear to be a better choice.  I will definitely take this into account whenever I have to purchase a new water bottle.

2) Rubbermaid Containers: I packed my lunch for the day thinking knowing I would not be able to purchase any packaged food during the day since it would most likely be packaged in plastic. My alternative: Rubbermaid containers, which are still plastic but definitely reusable. I am definitely in the need for more Tupperware, so I need to look into glass alternatives. Or even these cute tiffins/bento boxes.

I have also started collecting glass jars/containers for storage rather than putting them straight in the recycling bin.

3) Food: I have had to think a lot more about my meals than I normally have. Single serving meals consist of a lot of plastic. And many other items I buy (cheese, sour cream, ketchup, bread) come in plastic packaging as well. Tomorrow begins the quest of finding alternative food sources! I will most likely be cooking more from scratch, buying bulk, buying from the farmers market. It is interesting how reducing plastic consumption is weaving itself into other positive environmental habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment