Saturday 22 October 2011

Day 11: A Little Taste of Home

I've been thinking about home a little more than usual this weekend, so naturally I've been craving curry.

I went to Masala Grille yesterday - the only East Indian restaurant in Thunder Bay. And you know what? It is pretty good. Although I personally didn't use any disposable plastic while at the restaurant, I felt a little guilty going during the two week challenge since the restaurant obviously uses plastic. But I did bring my own containers in case I had left overs. I've never thought about bringing my own containers to a restaurant before till yesterday. I consider that a small victory.

Despite the filling meal yesterday, the craving stuck around. so I decided to make some vegetable curry at home.  Normally I would bust out the big bag of frozen vegetables, but obviously that is not an option. Instead I cut all my vegetables that I bought from the store earlier this week - carrots, zucchini, potatoes and onion to be exact. Definitely a lot more time consuming, but worth it!

And here you go!


Out of laziness, I would normally eat my curry with packaged sliced bread or tortillas from the supermarket, but since that was no longer and option, I made some chapatis from scratch. They totally hit the spot! And take only a few minutes to make. My dad would be so proud right now since I hated making them and would refuse to growing up.  



Ingredients in the vegetable curry or "subji" as it is traditionally called in India.
- olive oil
- onion
- garlic
- ginger
- Meat Masala spice mixture
- turmeric powder
- cumin seeds
- cayenne pepper
- salt
- carrots
- zucchini
- potatoes

My exact measurements are unknown to me since I usually do occasional taste tests and decide if I want to add more spices. And I usually do. But Manjula's Kitchen is an awesome site for authentic vegetarian East Indian dishes. She is so cute and endearing to watch too! Take a look at her Carrots with Green Peas recipe for something along the same lines. I would have loved to add peas to mine, but I haven't seen any that are not packaged around.  And most vegetable curries have the same base, so you can add any other vegetables your heart desires.

As for the chipati, Manjula is back to the rescue! It is so simple.

- whole wheat
- water
- a dash of olive oil.

And you just make it to a good dough consistency, roll out, and cook on a skillet or frying pan.

So satisfied :)



3 comments:

  1. You made me think about using my own containers, I usually just throw out whatever it is that they give me anyways :)

    -clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think that bringing your own containers is a great idea, I've never thought about that before! Very smart idea!!

    ReplyDelete