Friday 14 October 2011

Day 3: Shampoo Bars?

Ahhhh! How do I shower and clean myself without my shampoo and body wash that is packaged in plastic? What about my plastic toothbrush and toothpaste? What about moisturizing my body? I knew that all these items were packaged in plastic (and full of chemicals that are actually harmful to the body), but was never truly conscious of the fact and implications until starting this challenge. It was actually after I started the challenge that I even thought about it.  

I was actually shopping at the bulk barn when I came across various bar soaps by The Soap Works  that were not packaged in any plastic. And it clicked that my shampoo bottle and body wash were plastic! Very obvious in retrospect. But I guess that's just how pervasive plastic is in our lives that we don't think about it anymore. I don't at least.

Oh, I should also mention that they were $1.70 each. That is the least I have ever paid for soap or shampoo! So ridiculously cheap!



After reading about all the different soaps, I was pretty excited to try out the Hemp Oil Soap (it had me at "anti-aging"). I was definitely a little weary of the Shampoo & Conditioner Bar since my hair is really long, and I had never tried a bar shampoo before.  

Verdict? I'm impressed. My skin feels great, and it is great knowing that the soap was actually healthy for me as well! The shampoo was better than I expected as well. I didn't get that creamy conditioner feeling that I am used to, but it lathered really nice and my hair was fairly soft in the end. 

I think if I put some coconut oil in my hair before washing, my hair will be a little softer. Coconut oil is amazing for hair, anyways. It is what my aunt would massage into my scalp every other night when I was in India. Come to think of it, conditioners weren't commonly used back then in India anyways. And all the girls had amazing hair!

Now, I just need to get plastic free moisturizer. Or maybe even make some myself? I shall research and report.

1 comment:

  1. I really like that idea! I think I'll have to get some bar shampoo for myself! Bye bye plastic bottles!

    ReplyDelete