Friday 21 October 2011

Day 9: LUSH

I went to LUSH to see what they had for plastic free alternatives.  They definitely have a lot of soaps, moisturizers, bubble baths and the like not packaged in any plastic. Or packaged at all, really. And they also allow their customers to refill their plastic containers once they are finished the product. I thought that was pretty cool.  I ended up buying the Aromarant Deodorant. It is a dry bar deodorant that you can rub directly to dry skin.

I thought some of their products were overpriced - especially considering I bought a bar of soap and shampoo for $1.70 each from The Soap Works. Granted, the stuff at Lush looks much more amazing. But all the extra perfume smells and amazing colours had me a little skeptical about just how "natural" and "good for me" everything at the store is. I did a little search on EWG's Cosmetic Database and found that the products on the site ranged from Level 3 to 6, which classifies them as "Moderately Hazardous." It is all the perfumes they use in their products, I think.

I would like to explore more local soap/cosmetic makers if possible though. If anyone has any pointers, let me know! I've checked out a couple places, but not being from Thunder Bay has me a little lost at times. And since it is the end of the semester, all my free time is being sucked into homework.




2 comments:

  1. Interesting to know that a lot of products can be moderately hazardous to the skin and body I doubt a lot of consumers even know that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, greenwashing is everywhere! More so than ever before with the enviro/health fad!

    ReplyDelete